Sunday, November 23, 2014

Perfect Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes

This post is a day late, but I still think I'm good. This is one of my favorite recipes to make around Thanksgiving, it makes your whole house smell like pumpkin and they just taste AMAZING! I love this recipe. 
Now, if you make this recipe, just know that my pictures show a tripled batch, meaning I made three times the amount the recipe called for. So, don't worry if your bowl doesn't look like it's about to overflow with batter (that was definitely a scary moment!! Haha!). I also did this recipe with some slight variations because I had some issues with the size of the bowl on my stand mixer. The bowl was not big enough to be able to handle such a huge recipe. But that's what Black Friday is for, right? A chance to find a new bowl!
The finished product!

Yields: 12 Cupcakes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 18-20 minutes
Total Time: Roughly 1 hour


Ingredients

For the Cupcakes:

  • 4 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 sticks of butter
  • 2, 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1, 1/2 cups canned pumpkin


For the Frosting:

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
  • 12 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 pound (4 cups) powdered sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract


Directions

1. Make the Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners; set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves; set aside.

3. In an electric stand mixer, start mixing the butter, about 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add the brown sugar, half a cup at a time, making sure to break up any chunks of brown sugar so no lumps remain. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add the flour mixture in two additions, folding with a rubber spatula until no flour pockets remain. Add the pumpkin and water to the batter, slowly and making sure to not spill any out of the bowl. Mix for an additional minute.

4. Divide the batter between the baking cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.

5. Make the Frosting: With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cream cheese, and vanilla and continue to beat for an additional 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the powdered sugar gradually and mix until smooth and combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Increase the mixer speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.

6. Using a decorating bag (I use a Ziploc Bag, I personally believe it's stronger) and tip or an offset spatula, frost the tops of the cupcakes. The cupcakes can stay at room temperature for a few hours, but should be refrigerated for longer-term storage up to 4 days.


Enjoy!



I like to make sure I have all my ingredients before I start baking. You don't want to start baking and realize you need more butter! That would be terrible!

Mix all of your dry ingredients together. The flour, spices, salt...

Mix your butter for a few minutes

Then add your sugar and eggs

This is my huge bowl! Since I tripled the batter, I needed to use this huge bowl to combine my 12 cups of flour and my 12 eggs+ 6 sticks of butter. Plus my canned pumpkin! I went through three whole cans! That's a lot of batter I ended up with!

I use an ice cream scooper to divide my batter evenly

B. E. A. Utiful!

All done! Don't mind the cupcake liners, I didn't have any Thanksgiving Themed ones! Haha!

Butter and Powdered Sugar for the frosting

Adding a little more Powdered Sugar..

There we go! Nice and smooth

This is the ideal peak you want for frosting, something that isn't too runny, and not too firm. 

If you get frosting that is too runny, just add more powdered sugar!

Pretty Peak!

And my finished product!




No comments:

Post a Comment